Sunday, October 30, 2016

Chaos reigns ~ living room update


When I started this project I was hoping to have it finished by the holidays, well...at least by Christmas.

As of today, the painting and wallpapering is done and I have the new area rug. The fabric for the living room drapes is on its way, and as soon as it is delivered I can start making them. 


Meanwhile, the room is in chaos. Most of the upholstered furniture will either be discarded or moved to another room, I have managed to work around it but it will be very helpful to have it gone. Next week I have someone coming to move the heavier pieces and bring in the ones from storage I do intend to use.


 So far I like the way it is going, although I had a completion goal it really wasn't a deadline, but it will be nice to see it finished. I have found that when you do a room slowly it doesn't have that big impact because you adjust to each change gradually. How nice it would be to leave for a few days, come back, and find it all done exactly to your specifications.


 There is some satisfaction of knowing that you did it all yourself, or at least most of it. I will paint, wallpaper, and make simple slipcovers, but I definitely will not attempt upholstering.

One thing is for sure it will be done by next years holidays, but then I will probably have something else torn up.

Have a wonderful day!

14 comments:

  1. It is such a cozy and beautiful room ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope when it is finished it will be even nicer.

      Delete
  2. I admire your 'stick-to-it attitude! It will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am really going to enjoy it...when it is done. Selecting the upholstery fabric is somewhat of a chore and then waiting while it is done. But eventually it will get finished and I can sit back and rest for a while, but you know how houses are there is always something you want to change or needs attention.

      Delete
  3. It is so difficult getting through this reno stage...it will be worth it in the end and I can see what a change you have made already...such beautiful windows and the light coming in must make this room a haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this room has nice light and I love all of the windows. It might be old but the bones of the room are good. This is the fourth version of this room and I am pretty sure it will be the last, so I really want to get it right.

      Delete
  4. Everything looks wonderful so far and I know that it will be amazing when you get it finished. It is a lovely room with a lot of light. I love lots of light and sunshine coming into the house.

    Looking forward to seeing your finished living room.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice light room and that has always meant a lot to me too. Light is such a defining part of any space and makes enormous difference in it's appeal...at least to me.

      Delete
  5. your lovely home only gets better each time you work on it. looking forward to seeing your finished room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I got all of the furniture moved around today and it already looks better...now I have to pick out upholstery fabric...and make the drapes. At least I don't have a lot of time to get bored. LOL

      Delete
  6. It will all come together in time. I'm always amazed at what you accomplish by yourself. Do you line the drapes you make for your home. I have fabric I think I'll use to make drapes for the patio doors in my dining room but I'm debating about lining them. I have purchased drapes in our room that are not lined and I think I would like to line them to give a bit more light control in the summer months - and when the neighbor behind us turns on their big yard light and forgets to turn it off!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always line them, I think it gives a richer more professional look and they hang so much better. It's really quite easy to do and well worth the effort. But I always work with fabric and have never tried to line purchased drapes. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Adrienne, you are doing an amazing job! It looks like an awful lot, but I am pretty sure you will finish this and it will be gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the living room in its new glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has turned out to be more than I naively expected. I now have all of the furniture rearranged and moved so it is progressing albeit very slowly. I will probably be posting on it non stop when it is finally finished.

      Delete

If you enjoyed this post and you would like to see more please sign up to be a follower.